Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fun at an Orthopedic's

Chandu and i were chatting and he asked me if i knew a good Orthopedic in the city. I know most of you who know me will be thinking, "yaa..!! ortho? who else will know better?" I typed yes to get an immediate reply from him, 'Babu! Not Aditya."

Well, Bharat too was looking for an ortho as he sprained his left wrist a few weeks back.
Finally, i too was planning to get a full check up as my left knee aches whenever i trek or walk for more than 2-3 hours. With so many reasons, i got an appointment for last Saturday from G Vijay Kumar. A master orthopedic who we visited frequently for fractures, sprains, ligament injuries during my engineering time and were never ever disappointed.

Saturday 5PM we were there and all of us were hauled into his room. I was the first one to be examined.

Doc: "So, whats the problem?"
Adi: "Well, I have a problem with my left knee."
Doc: "Aaha! What happens?"
Adi: "I go for trekking..!!", here the doctor abruptly cut through my sentence and asks "You are in the deccan plateau. Where and how do you go trekking?". After a quick reply as Sahayadris from me he got more sarcastic and asks me, "you are born here in the deccan and go for trekking in sahayadris..?? hmm..!!"
Doc: "Did you have a fever recently or any other proble with the knee earlier?"
Adi: "A few years back when i was in OU, I came here because i had a swelling in the same knee because of some fluid and an ortho from DD suggested surgery. I got the swelling as i played a lot of basketball in those days."
Doc: "Oh! Basketball", Chandu and Bharat were already giggling like little girls sharing a private joke.
The doc then prescribed some medicines and physiotherapy while his juniors were quickly jotting down some notes. He also gave them some terms for the notes, turned towards me and asked "Anything else?"
Adi: "I fractured my right heel bone last year and my ankle still pains when i play tennis."
I didn't anticipate i spurted out so many key words in a single sentence for the doctor's superb sense of humor to get in action.
Doc: "So you jumped from somewhere, else you wouldn't fracture your heel. Your ankle must have sprained a bit badly at the same time." After a short pause, "You play tennis also. What else do you do? Trekking, Basketball, Tennis...!!"
I could think of a few more activities but you can guess why i stopped. After some notes for the juniors, i was asked to get an X-ray of my knee and Chandu was called for examination.

Chandu with a broad smile on his face hopped on to the cot there and,

Doc: "So, whats YOUR problem?"
Chandu: "two weeks ago i was in Goa..." (the doc again with his natural, sarcastic cut)
"Did he take you there too?? (pointing at me)"
Chandu somehow told no but understood he never cared for the answer and continued,
"i was jumping and landed on a few twisted toes. after that, last week i was playing basketball at office and.."
the doc doing it again: "dont you people have anything to do at office, he goes trekking, basketball tennis. You go to goa and play basketball. Why dont you just sit and work?"
Then he prescribed the medicine, gave some notes and waved bharat to get on the table.

By this time i was done with my x-ray, demonstration of the physiotherapy sessions i need to do daily and was back with the fun. Chandu and i were now laughing out quite loud and were not concentrating on what the doc was asking Bharat. We were laughing just by a glance at the look on his face.

Doc: "SO..! WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?"
Bharat: "Well, Sir! I was playing TT at office and..."

You can imagine what happened next.....